Monday, August 16, 2010

Things That Make You Go Awwww

Most mornings I eat breakfast at Kung's Cafe, a beautiful garden oasis straddling two sides of the end of an alley. I enjoy the stroll down this alley as there are many things to observe: women preparing their food stalls for the day or hanging out their laundry, waste water being thrown into the drainage channel, loogies being hocked, children kicking cans and riding tricycles or crying as their parents drive away to work, people using their motorcycle mirrors for personal grooming. You know, everyday life activities. Numerous animals also inhabit this alley, mostly dogs. One dog in particular frequently catches my attention. I usually try to walk a wide girth around dogs in Laos because one never knows how they will react. This dog appears to be quite gentle however, despite sometimes giving off an a unsettled look. He often stops and looks at me with these eyes that beg me to stop and play with him. Since I'm headed to eat breakfast with my clean hands, I don't stop to pet, but it is the only animal in Laos that regularly tempts me to break my don't touch policy. I especially like the days I find him curled up in a basket somewhere. This is often on the outdoor table, but can also just be on the ground in the middle of the alley.



As I headed to breakfast on Saturday, I didn't see my favorite friend, but in his place were four dogs, perched adorably on top the table. They were just so cute, and since I didn't have to eat at that table, I couldn't resist taking a photo. Awwwww.


No comments: